So you want to start marketing your business? This decision is the first step towards reaching your long-term goals! Every business needs a marketing strategy. Regardless of the industry that you are in, marketing is an essential part of growth and success. That’s why we’re here to discuss what to consider when looking at social media marketing companies for small business.
Every business has different needs and goals to be successful, and social media marketing companies are an excellent option for small businesses to partner with to help reach those goals. The best social media agencies not only provide professional management on behalf of their clients, but they also offer high-quality services, consultations, clear communication, and solutions to their client’s concerns.
Now before you partner with a marketing agency, here are the top 5 things to know:
- What are the best social media platforms?
- What are the best social media marketing tools?
- How do I set up my business’s social media accounts?
- How much does advertising cost?
- What are my expectations?
Keep in mind that each of these will differ per business and goals.
1. The Best Social Media Platforms
The leading social media platforms that most agencies work with are Facebook and Instagram.
Although Facebook and Instagram are the leading platforms, there is also Pinterest, YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, and many others. What you need to know in regards to social media platforms is which fits your business best. To determine this, first, define who your target audience is – social media platforms are not a one size fits all.
Example: If your business falls under the category of young women apparel, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest would be great platforms to begin advertising on based on the interests and ages of the platform’s most active users.
Once you have decided which social media platforms are best for your business, find a social media agency with expertise and experience utilizing those platforms in their services.
2. The Best Social Media Marketing Tools
Most social media tools are easy to use and affordable. But before you dive in, create a business strategy using the social media platforms you have decided fit your audience best!
To build your strategy, ask yourself questions about how you connect with your audience and what your short-term and long-term goals are. Once you have a clear strategy and goals, you can now implement a plan to reach those goals.
The best tools will differ per business; however, these are a few of our favorites.
- Canva – This tool allows users to create, edit, and even post content from social media posts to business cards and logos.
- Buffer – This tool allows users to schedule organic posts beforehand and supports most social media platforms.
- Hootsuite – This tool allows users to manage most social media platforms, provides in-depth breakdowns on data analytics, and offers collaboration amongst your team.
The different tools that your business chooses to utilize will be essential for your social media agency to implement in your marketing strategy. Marketing tools are an excellent way to amplify your business’s brand presence.
3. How to Set Up Social Media Accounts for your Business
The first step in setting up business social media accounts is to finalize which platforms will work best for you. As discussed in the first point, if your business falls under the category of young women apparel, and you have chosen to focus your efforts on Facebook and Instagram, you’ll want to set up a Facebook and Instagram business account.
All social media platforms will walk you through step by step on setting up your account. The biggest advice we have is not to skip any steps and take time to personalize your account. Your audience will notice the effort you put in, from the cover photo to the about us section; each step is essential.
4. Advertising Costs
Setting an advertising budget is one of the most, if not the most, crucial steps to take before getting started. With a marketing agency, this typically covers costs for the consultations, strategizing, advertising, and management.
When setting an advertising budget, there are a few different strategies that one can follow.
- A fixed percentage of sales — Depending on the businesses’ industry and the business’s size, advertising budgets can range from 1% to 50% of sales annually.
- Based on competition budget — Research the current industry that your business falls under and adopt the average.
- Objective or task-based — Begin by setting goals and objectives and deciding what tasks are required to meet those, then determining a budget by estimating those tasks’ cost.
- Maximum amount available — Although aggressive, this method can offer rewards such as rapid growth.
- Minimum amount available/ comfortability — Review current sales, profit, cost of goods, and services, then determine a set amount that can be efficiently utilized. This method is the safest but can take more to reach the set goals.
Now you know which platforms fit your business best, you’ve started to use social media tools to elevate your brand, your business accounts are up and running, and you’ve set your advertising budget. The next step is to find a marketing agency that fits your needs and will meet your expectations.
First and foremost, make a list of the needs and expectations that are a priority for your business. This list could include the level of communication, amount of time spent on your account, details regarding your ads’ performance, or clarification on what your management fee covers. The best way to find the agency that fits your business is to consult with the agencies you are interested in; most will offer a free consultation.
Now you know what you need to know when you start looking at social media marketing companies! They are an excellent option for small businesses to partner with to help reach short and long-term goals. And as mentioned, the best social media agencies not only provide professional management on behalf of their clients, but they also offer high-quality services, consultations, clear communication, and solutions to their client’s concerns.
If you have any questions regarding what else you need to know when you start researching social media marketing companies for small business, please feel free to contact our client strategy team for a free consultation!
Kennadie is a marketing coordinator at Set Fire Creative, where she strategizes, consults, and manages accounts to help her clients reach their marketing goals. When she is not in the office, you can find her taking on the city, binging Disney+, or hiking in the mountains with her husband and miniature schnauzer, Rogue. Her favorite quote to live by comes from her all-time favorite Pixar film, Up, “Adventure is out there!”