How big of a role does online marketing play in today’s world?
The internet was born on January 1, 1983. We are living through one of the greatest changes the world has ever seen. From its humble beginnings, the internet has grown to envelop every part of our daily lives. Online business and digital marketing have been no exception.
Businesses have changed right alongside the internet. It is becoming increasingly difficult to manage a successful business without a strong online presence. Businesses today find incredible growth through all sorts of online avenues; including social media, online ads, online shopping, entertainment, and much more. Let’s take a look at some digital marketing fun facts that may just open your eyes to how big of a role it plays in our world today.
- Google alone processes over 8.5 billion searches each day. To give you some perspective, there are over 7.75 billion people on the planet. (Internet Live Stats 2022)
- Google receives over 90% of all search engine searches. (GS Stat Counter 2022)
- 63% of all Google searches are done on a mobile device. (Mercleinc 2019)
- As of 2019, Facebook was the most searched term on google followed closely by Amazon. (Ahrefs 2019)
- 46% of searches by someone wanting to buy a product begin on google. (Jumpshot 2018)
- In 2021 there were 767 billion dollars of online purchases, and by 2023 it is estimated to break over 1 trillion dollars. (Statista 2022)
- Nearly 70% of all online purchases are now completed using a mobile device. (Statista 2022). Here’s an easy guide on how to make your website mobile-friendly.
- The number one reason for Shopping cart abandonment (leaving the site after adding a product to the shopping cart without making a purchase) is having a high shipping cost. (Big Commerce)
- 92% of buyers are more likely to make a purchase if there are positive reviews, and people spend more money on average when there are positive reviews. Not only is it important to have positive reviews but having current reviews makes an impact on conversions as well. (Learn.g2 The Impact of Reviews)
- In 2019 over 48% of all online retail sales were done through Amazon. This number keeps growing every year. (pymnts 2020)
- Email collection lists had a 15% conversion rate in 2021 making it the highest conversion rate of the year. (HubSpot State of Marketing Report 2022)
- Conversion rates can see serious improvements through landing page A/B testing, yet only 17% of marketers use them (Hubspot’s Not another Marketing Report 2021)
- 74% of marketers that were surveyed said that the Return on Investment for Search Engine Optimization was excellent. (Statista 2019)
- 73% of marketers that were surveyed said that the Return on Investment for content marketing was excellent. (Statista 2019)
- 61% of marketers that were surveyed said that paid search has an excellent ROI. (Statista, 2019)
- 56% of marketers that were surveyed said that social media marketing has an excellent ROI. (Statista, 2019)
One of the significant things we can learn from these digital marketing fun facts is the vast amount of useful information that can be tracked online. Digital marketing can be used to target specific demographics based on interest, location, age, experiences, and so much more. The incredible amount of data that is tracked online enables marketers to accurately monitor how effective their efforts are and how much reach, as well as the quality of that reach, that they are truly obtaining. Along with the internet, marketing has come a long way.
The internet started as a way for government researchers to share information. Today it has a very similar use but on a much grander scale. As the world’s online presence continues to grow, digital marketing will continue to grow along with it. Businesses will continue to see improvements and better results through the use of digital marketing. If your business is having trouble growing online, be sure to reach out to Set Fire Creative today for a free consultation.